Thursday, June 9, 2011

Plan 9 - '98 Demo


Here's the story:
In middle school I started listening to punk rock and getting into the whole subculture of it. I started a shitty band in 8th grade, we played 2 shows in our year and a half existence(?) and called it quits. This was around the time I started high school, where I met two older dudes (they could drive!) who were into Misfits/Danzig, Motorhead, Black Flag, etc...it was natural that we start a band.
Plan 9 was born.
The initial incarnation was David Stacy on vocals, Daniel Dyck on guitars (it's pronounced like LIKE), yours truly on bass, and 12 year old drummer Marcus Durham. We learned some Misfits and Queers songs, wrote some originals, and generally pissed off Marcus' parents. I do believe that his mother to this day still dislikes me for purposefully setting my hand on fire in her living room, but that's besides the point. We would practice in his garage, the covers of songs were horrible (whole solo part of "Some Kinda Hate" missing, I recall), and the originals, while not rousing punk anthems by any means, were at least better than the Korn/Deftones spew that almost every other band in this area was playing at this time. We played some good shows, the first time I ever played a show out of state was with this band (and there's a tape of this but you'll never hear it), and we were young punks having fun, starting trouble, and playing shitty music. Which brings me to this tape. What you are about to hear is our ONLY recorded output, a two song demo tape that cost us $475 to record. It was released by us in very small quantities, I think only about 25-30 tapes were made. We gave them out at shows, to friends, put some on consignment in local music stores, and they all disappeared. Even I had lost my copy of it, the original master tape (but I still have the actual reel it was recorded on).......
I thought that this tape was lost to me forever.
Then a record store re-opened in Johnson City over a year ago, and a friend of mine who worked there was going through tapes from the old store, when lo and behold, there it was, one of the copies I took to them on consignment. It was given to Marcus, but since he was not on this recording (a drummer by the name of Danny Roberts is), he gave it to me, and now here it is, for you, the lost Plan 9 demo. Two tracks in under 4 minutes, very simple punk.

I thought about waxing poetic about this and the dreams of my youth and punk rock aspirations and so forth, but decided against it. It's just two damn songs of mid tempo teenage aggression fueled punk rock. So this post is for David S., Daniel D., Marcus D., Danny R., Sarah E. from Las Vegas who played 2nd guitar for us for a little while, I hope you're doing great in whatever direction life has put you in, and for all those who were around at this time.




1 comment:

  1. my brother is daniel dyck and i wanna know where i can find the demos

    ReplyDelete